Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Defiant Act of Moving Forward

... During the trip, I met and worked with Arab women, not far from my own age, who were empowered and respected members of their community. Unlike its neighboring countries, the UAE promotes gender equality and “the Constitution of the UAE guarantees equal rights for both men and women.”[1] Throughout the trip, the more I spoke with these women, the more I felt a sincere connection to them and their art. This incredible cultural experience has instigated many questions on my part as an artist. At the forefront is whether my connection to their work is due to a valid thread that runs through each of our artworks despite global distances and cultural differences or if that connection is simply the fabrication of rose-tinted memories?...

To read this article in its entirety (and find out my final conclusion), follow this link:

"The Defiant Act of Moving Forward"


[1] “Women in the UAE”. UAE Embassy in Washington, DC. Web. 14 February 2011.

http://www.uae-embassy.org/uae/women-in-the-uae